Reserve Bank of India today reiterated the menace of Counterfeit (fake) Currency Notes, through a Public Notice.
The highlights of the Public Notice are as under:
01) Unscrupulous elements are putting into circulation Fake Indian Currency Notes of higher denominations in the course of normal transactions, taking advantage of the gullible and unsuspecting nature of some members of the public.
02) The public are advised to subject notes that are accepted to careful scrutiny. Genuine Indian Currency Notes of higher denominations have strong counterfeit resistant security features. The fake notes can be identified on closer inspection.
03) Detailed information on the security features on the banknotes are available on Reserve Bank of India website, https://paisaboltahai.rbi.org.in/, and the public may familiarize themselves with these features and educate others also.
04) Members of public are requested to make it a habit of looking at the notes before accepting them in the usual course of daily transactions and help arrest the counterfeiting of Indian banknotes.
05) Reserve Bank would like to remind all stakeholders that counterfeiting of notes, or possession, exchange, acceptance, putting into circulation of counterfeit notes or in any way abetting such actions are offences under the Indian Penal Code and such actions are liable to be punished stringently.
06) Reserve Bank is considering additional identity requirements for the use of Indian banknotes in large numbers.
07) Reserve Bank appeals to the members of the public for cooperation with the Reserve Bank and public authorities in containing the menace of circulation of counterfeit notes.
08) The notice has been issued by the Reserve Bank to advise caution and in the larger public interest.
The website @ https://paisaboltahai.rbi.org.in/ contains
01) Short video film highlighting the safety features in Indian Bank Notes
02) Frequently Asked Questions
03) Know your Bank Notes section